Monday, March 4, 2013

WildLife Victoria

A few weeks ago I attended an information session for Wild Life Victoria.
Wildlife Victoria are a volunteer based charity, providing a vital  emergency phone service to the community by responding to calls regarding sick, injured and orphaned wildlife. Wildlife Victoria maintains a wildlife care and communication network across Victoria .Using this extensive wildlife network backed by a sophisticated database enables us to respond swiftly and effectively to all manner of wildlife rescue situation.

Being interested in animals of all sorts I wanted to be able to help them all and I figure with my course's skills, I would be able to offer some sort of attributes to the organisation which most of their hard working volunteers may not have.
This charity is run on the blood, sweat and tears of hard working volunteers. They receive 60,000 calls a year for animal emergencies.  They however can only help hurt animals and can do no more than educate people if a wild animal has crossed onto your area and is not suffering.

Their goal this year is to get their name out there . Not many people have heard of them and everyone knows when we are hurt , who to call, 000. BUT when animal's are hurt, we don't know who to call! By promotion and putting their name out there, soon people will know who .This will easily save more lives of those suffering animals.
Another goal is to unite all the animal rescue organisations, since so many people out there are trying to help out, their goal is to help get some kind of networking between them all and hopefully get some sort of system going.

Of the animals they rescues however, unfortunately many of them are to be euthanized. There’s not much the rescuers can do for them other than bring them to the Vet whom together decide to help the animal ease of its misery and suffering. This is sad but a harsh reality .

The people who volunteer there are given a few roles to choose from such as Rescuer ,Transporter & Carer. Unfortunately you need to gain experience and shadow a carer of animal's before you can be given that right as it's an enormous load of responsibility to take care of wild animals. Everyone is trained to be able to deal with what's out there, but at the end of the day , no two rescues are the same.

I have decided to do one of their lesser known roles. A Night Phone Emergency Operator.
Wildlife rescue centre does close at night so from 9pm – 7am I will be using their database and a mobile they provide me to help direct the volunteers to the emergencies that happen and help direct the people over the phone who are involved in that wildlife situation. I will be attending a training session on the 16th and will have a member “shadow” me my first few time’s to make sure I am doing the job correctly. I have decided to do this as I am great with computers and more than proficient enough to be able to adapt to any database they may have.  With all my spare time I spend up on night on the computer, I mine as well put it to some good use! Helping animals!

Help! Promote them as they run on our donations and the blood , sweat and tears of volunteers!


In case you were interested here is their website!
http://www.wildlifevictoria.org.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment